Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Good Morning!

After much enjoyment, befuddlement, shock and disgust aboard the 14th Street bus, I’ve decided to start a log of my time spent traveling down this historic corridor. Okay, actually I decided to start this on Friday afternoon when a sparky old guy got on at N Street and went on and on about how he couldn’t wait to drink his corn alcohol. He made my afternoon.

I travel daily on this bus, south every morning and north most evenings for a good 3 mile ride from north Columbia Heights to Federal Triangle. The people, places, sights, sounds, and yes the smells of the 14th Street bus are near and dear to my heart.

This morning, I boarded the 52 (door to door service, people!) which followed immediately behind a 53. It was pouring rain at our new fancy bus stop, and we were all cuddled up under it. The gentleman with no teeth looked at me in amazement when we saw the 53 and 52 coming and said: “We have two buses! The second one is not that full. Vamos.” I followed him, really only because the 52 is my prime choice.

I got a seat at the next stop, hung my umbrella and pulled out the Express. Monday’s version is so slim, so I pretty much got through it by the time we passed the metro. At U Street, a lovely lady sat next to me, looked at me and said: “Good morning how are you today?” Honestly, someone out there who rides the metro or even the 30 buses -- please tell me how often that happens to you?

Wait: 3
Travel: 40

No comments: